Saturday, 17 January 2015

Dividing Fractions

¾÷⅛
You read the equation as how many ⅛'s there are in ¾.

3/4 ÷ 1/8 = 3/4 × 8/1 because 8/1 is the reciprocal of 1/8 meaning if multiplied together, it equals one. To find the reciprocal of a fraction, just switch the denominator to the numerator, and numerator to denominator. Only then you can multiply instead of divide.

Since 3/4 ÷ 1/8 has the same value as 3/4 × 8/1, you can just go ahead and write it out and multiply the numerators and denominators, then change the product from an improper fraction into a whole number or mixed number:



To make a model of 3/4 ÷ 1/8, make a rectangular bar, and divide it into quarters, and shade 3 quarters to show 3/4.




Next divide the bar into eighths, and to find the answer, count how many eighths there are in 3/4. 


There are 6 eighths in 3/4. 
¾÷⅛=6!

2 comments:

  1. Very clear and very thorough. I like it! Other than that, I don't really think that anything needs to be changed. Good job, Maddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your reflection is very clear, and easy to follow. You can see all the steps, and if you don't understand, there are representations underneath. You had a lot of explanations, and I can tell that you spent a lot of time on this. I think you did a really great job!

    ReplyDelete