Thursday, 23 April 2015

How Tall is a Typical 6th Grader?

What is the height of a typical 6th grader at SAS?


The typical height of an average 6th grader is roughly 61 inches. I think this, because the median and the mode of the data of a typical 6th grader is 61 inches, and the mean of the data is 60.96 inches, which is very close to 61.

How does your own height compare?


My height (with sneakers on) is about 63 inches, and this is only two inches taller than the median, mode, and mean for the data of 6th graders. I don't think this is very precise, because without my sneakers, I am around 61 inches tall, but I think the data also shows the heights of 6th graders with their shoes on, too.

Does the height of 6th graders have a lot of variability? How do you know?

Yes, I think the height of 6th graders have a lot of variability. I know this because the minimum height is 52 inches, and the maximum height is 72 inches. The range, 72 minus 52, is 20 inches, which is a large gap.

3 comments:

  1. * You do a great job justifying the height of a typical 6th grader by comparing the median and mode to the mean of the data.
    * You did an awesome job showing that taking off your shoes reduces your height, which explains why the data isn't that precise.
    * Something you could try to improve on is... Nothing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you could work on justifying why you used each math tool, but you did a great job being thorough, and including, mean, median and mode, and paying attention to details like height with sneakers on, and without.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you did an awesome job giving evidence as to what the typical height of a 6th grader is. I also like the detail that you made about how tall your sneakers were, so then we could see how tall you were with sneakers on and without them. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete